- The Fort Wayne Philharmonic and Chorus present Messiah by Candlelight
- Citilink will not operate on Thanksgiving Day holiday
- Black Friday specials all week long at the Allen County SPCA
- TinCaps: Opening Day tickets go on sale for holidays – today!
- Sculpting a Superior message
- NWS: Mostly sunny today with highs in the lower 50s
- State’s first Diverging Diamond receives engineering award
- FWPD: Critical Traffic Accident, Paulding and Hessen Cassel Roads
- Mad Ants to host Student ID Night at Friday’s game
- CLHS students Reese Breischaft and Collin Peterson, create JROTC app
YLNI and Ft. Wayne Farmers Market to collaborate
News release from the Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana and Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Market:
Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana and Ft. Wayne Farmers Market to Collaborate
(April 11, 2013) – Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana (YLNI) and Fort Wayne’s Farmers Market (FWFM) are pleased to announce the first step in a long term collaboration regarding a Saturday summer Farmers Market downtown on Barr Street. Both organizations will be running summer markets in the footprint of the historic City Market that ran along Barr Street from Berry Street to Washington Street and are committed to coordinating efforts in order to offer a premium market experience for Fort Wayne and the surrounding region.
“YLNI and Fort Wayne’s Farmers Market are helping fill in one more piece of the puzzle when it comes to downtown revitalization,” said John Urbahns, the City’s Director of Community Development. “A growing and high-quality farmers market contributes to the vibrancy and excitement of downtown and brings more people together to enjoy all Fort Wayne has to offer.”
“FWFM is honored to share space in the footprint of the old City market in collaboration with YLNI,” said Leigh Rowan, Market Coordinator. “YLNI’s vision in reviving an integral part of Fort Wayne’s history 8 years ago is exemplary and to be commended. We are so pleased to help contribute to the downtown farmers market experience for the community as well as to provide even more vendors the opportunity to participate.”
YLNI’s Barr Street Market represents an important part of Fort Wayne’s history. It is an ongoing tradition that’s been alive in the heart of our city for more than a century. Here’s why:
- Barr Street Market is located in the oldest public space in Fort Wayne
- The original Barr Street Market operated continuously from the 1840s-1950s
- In its heyday, the Market stretched for 2 city blocks and had several permanent buildings
“YLNI is excited about the momentum FWFM is bringing to Barr Street this summer,” said Lisa Updike, President of YLNI. “YLNI is encouraged by the success of FWFM’s winter market and the community’s interest in buying from local vendors throughout the year. YLNI’s interest in reviving the Barr Street Market began with a demand of its members for a downtown market, and that demand has continued to grow across the community. The collaboration between YLNI and FWFM will create a larger, more vibrant and sustainable market with a greater variety of vendors.”
YLNI and FWFM encourages the community to “Buy Local, Buy Fresh” at every opportunity, including supporting other farmers markets.