- USF event to examine working with at-risk youth
- Brickworld returning to the Grand Wayne Center
- National honor focused on City Water Pollution Control Plant
- Community Foundation receives $500,000 grant for riverfront development project
- NWS: Fair weather continues tonight, lows in the mid 50s
- INDOT: Watch for deer on Indiana’s roadways
- USF announces “Jesus Christ Superstar” cast
- Mayor Henry commends community leaders who participated in neighborhood conference in Kentucky
- FWPD: Barricaded Subject, 1600 block of Fitchburg Place
- NWS: Pleasant weather through Thursday with mild temperatures
Dumpster Drummers show students ways to make everyday Earth Day
News release from the City of Fort Wayne:
Dumpster Drummers Show Students Ways to Make Everyday Earth Day
School Assemblies Encourage Recycling, Water Quality Protection
(April 19, 2013) – April 22 is officially Earth Day, but Fort Wayne’s Solid Waste Department and City Utilities have teamed up with the Dumpster Drummers to encourage area students to celebrate Earth Day everyday by implementing earth-friendly habits.
Using recyclable items, and reclaimed items along with garbage carts and recycle carts as instruments, the Dumpster Drummers help City staff deliver environmental messages in a fun and engaging way. In the assembly titled: “Be Smart, Use Your Cart” students learn about the items that can and should be recycled as part of Fort Wayne’ s one-cart recycling program and those things that should be thrown away in the garbage. The “Earth Day Every Day” assembly adds information about protecting water resources and stresses activities such as picking up and properly disposing of pet waste and reducing the use of fertilizer and pesticides on the lawn and garden.
School assemblies are scheduled as follows:
- Monday, April 22 at Lindley Elementary – Be Smart, Use Your Cart
- Tuesday, April 23 at Lutheran South Unity School – Be Smart, Use Your Cart
- Wednesday, April 24 at Indian Village – Be Smart, Use Your Cart
- Thursday, April 25 at Washington Elementary – Earth Day Every Day
- Friday, April 26 at Lakeside Middle School – Earth Day Every Day
- Friday, April 26 at St. Charles Borromeo School – Be Smart, Use Your Cart
Please contact the individual school for assembly times and to make arrangements to attend. A video preview is available at www.dumpsterdrummers.com/video.
This is the fourth year that the City and the Dumpster Drummers have worked together to encourage students to help clean up and protect the planet.