- USF hosting high school art workshop
- NWS: Clouds will begin to slowly thin this afternoon
- 3’s a charm: USF QB Nick Ferrer earns MSFA weekly award 3rd time
- Lower Huntington Road upgrade brings first trail connection to Waynedale
- NWS: Chance for showers this evening and overnight
- USF sophomore Spencer Cowherd earns NAIA defensive weekly award
- Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo regular season ends Sunday
- USF faculty among outstanding healthcare professionals
- Mad Anthonys Children’s Foundation donates $200,000 to Mad Anthonys Children’s Hope House
- Ayad Al-Shaibani sentenced in Food Stamp Case and ordered to pay $1,714,207.10 in restitution
Baltz bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 victory
News release from the TinCaps:
Baltz Bolsters TinCaps in 4-2 Victory
(May 2, 2013) Burlington, IA – Jeremy Baltz hit a two-run double in the top of the ninth inning, scoring Gabriel Quintana and Luis Tejada, leading the Fort Wayne TinCaps to a 4-2 win over the Burlington Bees Thursday afternoon at Community Field. The TinCaps have now won three straight away from Parkview Field for the second time this season.
Fort Wayne (16-10) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning, as Alberth Martinez hit a two-run single to right-center field, sending Brian Adams and Corey Adamson across home plate. Martinez, who had homered in his last three games, has now driven in a run in four consecutive contests.
Burlington (9-14) answered with a lone run in the bottom of the fifth inning, which was the only one tallied against TinCaps starter Justin Hancock. The Defiance, Ohio, native started on short notice, as the scheduled starter, Max Fried, was sidelined with a fever. Hancock turned in six innings, allowing three hits and striking out five without issuing a walk.
The TinCaps allowed another run in the bottom of the eighth inning, as Burlington tied the game, 2-2. Erik Cabrera, who had pitched a 1-2-3- seventh, walked the Bees’ Chevy Clarke, snapping a streak of four straight batters retired. The next batter, Kevin Moesquit, hit a pop-up behind the mound that dropped to the field after a collision between shortstop Maxx Tissenbaum and first baseman Luis Tejada. Third baseman Gabriel Quintana picked up the ball and threw to second, completing the putout on Clarke. Cabrera then attempted a pickoff throw to first, which was wild and allowed Moesquit to advance to third with two outs. Roman Madrid (2-0) came out of Fort Wayne’s bullpen, and allowed Moesquit to score on a single.
In the top of the ninth, facing Joseph Krehbiel (1-1) the TinCaps rattled off three straight hits, the third of which was a two-run double by Baltz. He snapped the tie and put Fort Wayne in a position to win, which it did after Madrid’s perfect ninth inning. The TinCaps are now a season-best six games above the .500 mark.
The TinCaps look for a series sweep and a season-best fourth straight road win in Friday night’s 7:30 pm finale at Burlington. The scheduled starters are Zach Eflin for Fort Wayne and Alex Keudell for Burlington. The game can be heard on The Fan 1380 and TheFanFortWayne.com.