- Baby Giraffe makes public debut today at the Zoo
- Early African-American Settlers of the Maumee Valley program tonight
- FWPD: Fatal Motor Vehicle Accident, McKinnie Avenue and McMillen Park Drive
- NKP 765 through Brooklyn Avenue – photos and video
- Women Betrayed rally to defund and investigate Planned Parenthood
- Allen County Fun Fair events – 7/28/2015
- Allen County Fun Fair begins today
- NWS: Dry conditions today, chance of storms tomorrow
- FWCS Homeless Assistance Program kicks off school year
- I&M breaks ground on first solar generation facility
FWPD: Police Action Shooting, 7700 Weymouth Court
News release from the Fort Wayne Police Department:
Police Action Shooting
Date/Time of Incident: May 02, 2013 / 8:22 AM
Location of Incident: 7700 Weymouth Court
Deceased: Male, age 22, Fort Wayne
(May 2, 2013) – On Thursday, May 02, 2013 at approximately 8:22 a.m. the City of Fort Wayne Police Department responded to a home in the 7700 block of Weymouth Court reference a disturbance that resulted in a police action shooting. An adult male was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Initial information received indicated that a resident at this home was under the influence of a mind- or mood-altering drug(s) and that he was behaving irrationally, and that he had access to a firearm. As the first responding officers attempted to make contact, the suspect fired shots inside the home and at the officers as they retreated for their safety. The suspect then gained access to a vehicle and pursued one of the officers into the front drive of a neighboring home. The suspect then exited the vehicle and exchanged gunfire with that officer and the other officers on the scene. The suspect was fatally wounded. There were no physical injuries to the responding officers, and there were no injuries reported to any bystanders or residents in the neighborhood.
At this time, investigators and crime scene technicians remain at the scene. Because the suspect was firing indiscriminantly, in multiple directions, neighboring homes were found to have been struck by gunfire; those homes became part of the investigation and are also being processed by crime scene technicians. There were direct eyewitnesses to this incident and they have been transported to the police headquarters where each will be interviewed. There were four officers involved and they will be placed on administrative leave in accordance with departmental policy.
This incident remains under investigation with the City of Fort Wayne Police Department, the Indiana State Police, the Allen County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, and the Allen County Coroner’s Office. There is nothing further at this time.