- Kingston Residence hosts Good Old Days event to benefit Waynedale Trails
- Rolling slow-downs scheduled for I-69 near County Line Road today
- Luis Ramirez-Munoz indicted for Cocaine and Methamphetamine Distribution
- Allen County SPCA Selected as newest participant in PetSmart Charities Rescue Waggin’ program
- NWS: Chance of mainly afternoon showers today
- FWPD: Fatal Shooting Investigation, 2500 block of Schaper Drive
- TinCaps ReCap: Rain-shortened game and Captains sink TinCaps
- NWS: Showers and isolated thunderstorms continue overnight
- TinCaps ReCap: 17-game home winning streak ends
- Ivy Tech Northeast to host American Heart Association Heart Walk – 9/12/2015
Family hike along the Flat Rock Creek
News release from the Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor:
Family Hike along the Flat Rock Creek
(July 15, 2013) – Join the Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor and ACRES Land Trust at the Flat Rock Creek Nature Preserve for a morning hike at 10:00am, Saturday, August 3. The event is free, and membership information for both organizations will be available. Our theme will be the Great Black Swamp as challenge and opportunity. We’ll talk about the former swamp, the few natural streams that ran through it–like the Flat Rock– and how the land underwent great change in the late 19th and early 20th century as cutting the forest and draining the land with tiles and ditches led to great productivity, and great environmental impact.
The Great Black Swamp once covered a large part of northwest Ohio and the eastern half of Allen County, Indiana, until ditches and drainage tiles were installed in the late 19th century. Flat Rock Creek Nature Preserve is located within this region, at 8654 SR 500, Paulding, Ohio.
This program is made possible in part by the Ohio Humanities Council, a state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor is a non-profit organization serving Northwest Ohio and portions of Northeast Indiana and Southeast Lower Michigan.
ACRES Land Trust is a membership-based, non-profit land preservation organization serving Northeast Indiana, Northwest Ohio and Southwest Lower Michigan. ACRES has 86 preserves with many open to the public.
The Mission of the Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor is to advocate for and protect the historical, natural and cultural resources of the Maumee Valley watershed while promoting their use and appreciation by current and future residents and visitors.