- Red Cross blood drive planned in remembrance of Sept. 11th
- Upcoming Science Central September activities
- More than 40 children are hit daily by a vehicle while walking
- Over 125 employers to attend IPFW Mastodon Job and Internship Fair
- What’s happening at the Botanical Conservatory in September
- 21st Omnibus Lecture Series focuses on national security, the environment, and politics
- FWPD: Critical Pedestrian Injury Accident, 2500 block of Spy Run Avenue
- TinCaps ReCap: TinCaps win marathon game at Lansing
- NWS: An unseasonably warm and humid start to September
- Road Sensor repairs scheduled for I-69 near mile 311 on September 1st and 2nd
Reynolds Street house fire with fatality
News release from the Fort Wayne Fire Department:
(August 5, 2013) – Fort Wayne Fire Department’s Engine 9 responded to a fire service call by an off-duty firefighter who reported smelling smoke in the area along Wayne Trace/New Haven Ave. The crew canvassed the area and identified smoke coming from the roof eves of a home at 2216 Reynolds E. After requesting additional crews, Engine 9 forced entry and began an interior attack on the fire located in the kitchen area of the home while other crew members began a primary search and located a victim in a rear bedroom. The subject was pulled to safety where medics immediately took over patient care. The subject was later declared dead on scene. Firefighters battling the blaze were able to contain and extinguish the fire in 21 minutes.
The identity and cause of death of the victim will be released by the Coroner. The cause of the blaze is under investigation. TRAA, FWPD, Nipsco, AEP and the Allen County Coroner assisted at the scene. Animal Control was also called to assist after crews found two cats that also perished in the fire.