- Wells County Robotics Camp underway with a robotics challenge Friday
- Camp Canine grand opening/ribbon cutting
- NWS: Scattered showers and thunderstorms this afternoon
- History Center celebrates seven years of success
- Superior Court debuts employee communication system
- Allen County Fun Fair events – 7/31/2015
- TinCaps ReCap: TinCaps sweep Dayton Dragons
- New plans to be released at My City Summit for Quimby Village
- Mother of three to receive recycled ride at TinCaps Game Friday – 7/31/2015
- FWPD: New property form to help protect victims of burglary and theft
Decatur Sculpture Tour announces free guided tours
News release from the Decatur Sculpture Tour Committee:
Decatur Sculpture Tour Announces FREE Guided Tours
Decatur, Ind. (August 1, 2013) – The Decatur Sculpture Tour Committee will provide free guided tours of sculptures in downtown Decatur. Tour guides include artists and committee members who are knowledgeable about Decatur’s growing collection of public art.
“If you’ve ever wondered what goes through the minds of the artists as they create this kind of artwork, here’s your chance to find out,” says Greg Mendez, co-founder of the Decatur Sculpture Tour and creator of several pieces.
Guided tours will start at the Adams Public Library at 128 S. 3rd Street in downtown Decatur on the following dates:
- Thursday, August 15, 4pm-5pm
- Friday, August 16, 9am-10am
The public is encouraged to sign up for the guided tours on the Decatur Sculpture Tour website, Facebook, or at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/8050B48A4A62EAB9-decatur. A sign-up form is also available at the Adams Public Library Decatur Branch.
The expanded 2013 Decatur Sculpture Tour includes 20 new sculptures located on 2nd and Monroe Streets, and three sculptures from the 2012 event on Monroe Street. In total, the 2013-2014 DST provides participants with over 30 exhibits for entertaining and thought-provoking displays for the artist-at-heart.
Nominations for the “People’s Choice Award” are due September 30 and can be submitted at the Decatur Library or the Adams County Community Foundation including the after-hours drop box.
A map of the Decatur Sculpture Tour and list of artists, sculpture locations and sculpture sponsors is available at the library as well as two specially marked display cases downtown and in most sponsor locations during business hours. A full list of sponsors and artists is available at www.DecaturSculptureTour.com.
The sculptures will be on display through May 31, 2014. Sculptures are for sale but must remain on display until the next year’s event. The Decatur Sculpture Tour Committee retains a portion of sale proceeds to help underwrite future sculpture tour efforts and eventually begin purchasing permanent art for the community.
The mission of the Decatur Sculpture Tour is to inspire, soothe, provoke, connect and involve the public through art. Decatur, Indiana is located about 20 minutes south of Fort Wayne, Indiana.