- Indiana Regional Cities Initiative giant flag unveiling at Parkview Field
- The discipline behind essential oils for preventative health science tour
- Wells County Robotics Camp underway with a robotics challenge Friday
- Camp Canine grand opening/ribbon cutting
- NWS: Scattered showers and thunderstorms this afternoon
- History Center celebrates seven years of success
- Superior Court debuts employee communication system
- Allen County Fun Fair events – 7/31/2015
- TinCaps ReCap: TinCaps sweep Dayton Dragons
- New plans to be released at My City Summit for Quimby Village
FamilyWize savings continue to climb in Allen County
News release from the Allen County Board of Commissioners:
FamilyWize Savings Continue to Climb in Allen County
Help with paying for prescription drugs now available through text message
(August 9, 2013) — Use of the FamilyWize prescription drug discount card continues to grow in Allen County, according to figures released today by the Board of Commissioners and the United Way of Allen County.
For the first six months of this year, the free card was used 9,242 times by residents and resulted in savings on prescriptions totaling $146,153. The number of claims was up 369 compared to the same period in 2012 and the amount of money saved increased by $13,487.
Since March 2007 when the program was first established in Allen County, 72,179 claims have been filed. The amount saved on those claims totals over $1.19 million. The average amount saved on a prescription is 31.5%, or $16.49.
FamilyWize cards immediately lower the cost of medicine for people without insurance or who take medications not covered by their plan. The cards can also be used by people with health benefits, including Medicaid or Medicare. The free cards are accepted at most major pharmacies throughout Allen County. There are no age or income restrictions and no enrollment or personal information is needed to get the cards.
FamilyWize cards are available at the YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne’s four Allen County facilities and its Childcare Services Branch, the Associated Churches of Fort Wayne’s 28 food banks, and a variety of local partner agencies, municipal and county agencies and departments. You can also print a card, look up drug prices and find a list of participating pharmacies by going to www.familywize.org.
In addition, you can now text the word “family” to 700700 to get a free FamilyWize prescription discount card sent to your cell phone by text. Just show the text to your pharmacist and they will automatically apply the discount to the cost of your medicine.
The United Way of Allen County began offering the program to residents through its member agencies in March of 2007. In April 2008, the Board of Commissioners teamed up with United Way to help publicize the program and distribute cards in the community.