- Garrett Cooper pursues new role in Ambassador Enterprises
- TinCaps Roster Move: Sept. 2, 2015
- Fort Wayne Sport Club announces Kickball Tournament winners
- Emmanuel Lutheran Church steeple Cross removed this morning
- NWS: Mostly clear tonight with overnight lows in the upper 60s
- TinCaps hiring food & beverage employees
- County offices closed Sept. 7th for Labor Day holiday
- City offices to be closed on Labor Day
- Employment anniversary announcement
- FWFD: House Fire, 3514 Avondale Drive
September is National Preparedness Month
News release from the American Red Cross:
National Preparedness Month
Blood donations an important part of being prepared
(August 20, 2013) – September is National Preparedness Month, and the American Red Cross encourages individuals to take action to plan and prepare for an emergency and to donate blood.
“Disasters can strike at any time and being prepared is a family’s and an individual’s best defense,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for Indiana-Ohio Region and Western Lake Erie Region Blood Services.
“Supporting Red Cross blood donation or giving blood is also critical to community preparedness since hospitals need blood to respond to patient need,” Whitman said. “The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.”
The Red Cross recommends three simple actions to prepare for weather-related disaster events and emergencies such as a house fire: get a kit, make a plan and be informed. “Everyone needs to have a plan; waiting until disaster strikes is too late,” Whitman added.
All blood types are needed daily, but type O negative, as the universal blood type, is frequently in high demand.
More information including smart phone apps, tools and a family disaster plan template are available at the Red Cross website at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/nationalpreparednessmonth.
Residents have the opportunity to donate at these local blood drives:
- Tuesday, Sept. 3, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Fed Ex Express, located at 3620 Independence Drive in Fort Wayne. Come to donate and receive a t-shirt.
- Thursday, Sept. 5, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Kohl’s Apple Glen, located at 1410 Apple Glen Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, Sept. 8, from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Queen of Angels Catholic Church & School in the School Gymnasium, located at 1500 W. State Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, Sept. 8, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church in the Cafeteria, located at 2213 Brooklyn Ave. in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, Sept. 8, from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church in the Recreation Hall, located at 11337 Old U.S. 27 S. in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Sept. 9, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Grabill Missionary Church in the gymnasium, located at 13637 State St. in Grabill.
- Monday, Sept. 9, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at the United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall, located at 630 Lincoln Highway E. in New Haven.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Tower Bank, located at 116 E. Berry St. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, from 2:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Cedar Creek Church of Christ, located at 12606 SR 1 in Leo.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Walmart, located at 1710 Apple Glen in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, Sept. 12, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Frontier Communications, located at 6430 Oakbrook Parkway in Fort Wayne.
- Saturday, Sept. 14, from noon until 5 p.m. at Metea Park, located at 8401 Union Chapel Road in Fort Wayne. This Family Battalion Day blood drive is sponsored by the 1st 293 Infantry Battalion.
- Sunday, Sept. 15, from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, located at 2417 Getz Road in Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Traditional whole blood or double red cell donation:
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m. *
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Platelet pheresis donation (call 1-800-589-8127 or 260-480-8299 to schedule a platelet donation):
- Monday: 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
Traditional whole blood or platelet pheresis donation (no platelet pheresis on Wednesdays): **
- Monday through Wednesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
* 2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcrossblood.org or visit us on Twitter at @RedCrossIO.
About Stephen ParkerStephen Parker is the blogmaster for AroundFortWayne.com. He believes that everyone should have access to information, interviews, and videos of events that are, "Straight from the source". When not blogging, he enjoys outdoor activities in his adopted home, Fort Wayne Indiana. He moved here in late 1989 and hasn't looked back.
Garrett Cooper pursues new role in Ambassador Enterprises
Ambassador Enterprises announced recently that Garrett Cooper will lead the...
TinCaps Roster Move: Sept. 2, 2015
TinCaps Roster Move: Sept. 2, 2015.
Fort Wayne Sport Club announces Kickball Tournament winners
The 4th annual Fort Wayne Sport Club Charity Kickball Tournament...
Emmanuel Lutheran Church steeple Cross removed this morning
The Emmanuel Lutheran Church Cross on the steeple was removed...
NWS: Mostly clear tonight with overnight lows in the upper 60s
Skies will be mostly clear tonight with overnight lows in...
TinCaps hiring food & beverage employees
The TinCaps’ Food & Beverage Department is now hiring part-time...
County offices closed Sept. 7th for Labor Day holiday
Due to the Labor Day holiday, all Allen County offices...