- TinCaps ReCap: TinCaps complete walk-off sweep
- Sixth-, ninth-grade students get ready for the new year
- NWS: Severe storms are possible tonight after 10 p.m.
- FWPD: Critical Shooting Investigation, 6000 block of Bunt Drive
- Asher welcomes new Media Coordinator, Yvonne Sly
- Group uncovers lack of developmental screening for Allen County kids
- Citilink points to accessible transportation services on 25th anniversary of ADA
- Regional Cities Initiative giant flag unveiled at Parkview Field
- Oat and wheat harvest in full swing
- FWPD: Critical Injury Crash, 3300 block of South Clinton Street
Make regular blood donation a New Year’s resolution
News release from the American Red Cross:
Make regular blood donation a New Year’s resolution
(December 19, 2013) – With the beginning of a new year comes a fresh start. New Year’s resolutions are often made to form good habits and reach new goals. This New Year’s, the American Red Cross encourages people to resolve to help patients in need through regular blood donations.
As the winter season continues, blood donations are especially needed. Donations typically decline this time of year, as many regular donors are impacted by inclement weather and seasonal illnesses.
There is no better resolution to make this New Year’s than to help save lives with the Red Cross. Give the gift of life and help give patients another year with their loved ones. Make an appointment to donate blood at redcrossblood.org or 1-800-RED CROSS.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Saturday, Jan. 4, from 8 a.m. until noon at the United Methodist Church of the Covenant in the Meeting Room, located at 10001 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, Jan. 5, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church in the Cafeteria, located at 2213 Brooklyn Ave. in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Jan. 6, from 8 a.m. until noon at PNC Bank in the Training Room, located at 110 W. Berry St. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Precious Blood Catholic Church, located at 1515 Barthold St. in Fort Wayne. This blood drive is sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.
- Friday, Jan. 10, from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at the Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana in Learning Center A & B, located at 10008 Dupont Circle Drive E. in Fort Wayne. This is a Give Blood. Get a Cookie. blood drive. Enjoy Girl Scout cookies in the refreshment area.
- Sunday, Jan. 12, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at St. Patrick Catholic Church, located at 2120 S. Harrison St. in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Jan. 13, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Grabill Missionary Church in the gymnasium, located at 13637 State St. in Grabill. This is a Give Blood. Get a Cookie. blood drive. Enjoy Girl Scout cookies in the refreshment area.
- Monday, Jan. 13, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. at Lassus Handy Dandy, located at 8830 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Jan. 14, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Tomkinson BMW, located at 929 Avenue of Autos at the 14/69 Auto Mall in Fort Wayne.
- Wednesday, Jan. 15, from 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at Kelley Automotive, located at 633 Avenue of Autos in Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Traditional whole blood or double red cell donation:
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Platelet pheresis donation (call 1-800-589-8127 or 260-480-8299 to schedule a platelet donation):
- Monday: 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
Traditional whole blood or platelet pheresis donation:
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
- * 2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcrossblood.org.
About Stephen ParkerStephen Parker is the blogmaster for AroundFortWayne.com. He believes that everyone should have access to information, interviews, and videos of events that are, "Straight from the source". When not blogging, he enjoys outdoor activities in his adopted home, Fort Wayne Indiana. He moved here in late 1989 and hasn't looked back.
TinCaps ReCap: TinCaps complete walk-off sweep
The TinCaps completed a walk-off sweep against the West Michigan...
Sixth-, ninth-grade students get ready for the new year
Students in Fort Wayne Community Schools will get a jump...
NWS: Severe storms are possible tonight after 10 p.m.
Severe storms are possible tonight after 10 p.m.
FWPD: Critical Shooting Investigation, 6000 block of Bunt Drive
Today at approximately 1:22 PM, the FWPD responded to the...
Asher welcomes new Media Coordinator, Yvonne Sly
Asher is pleased to announce that Yvonne Sly has joined...
Group uncovers lack of developmental screening for Allen County kids
A local group has been working through a disciplined process...
Citilink points to accessible transportation services on 25th anniversary of ADA
On the 25th anniversary of the ADA, Citilink commemorates the...